Sunday, January 2, 2011

These dang Newports

Of course I'm trying to kick this Newport habit...again. It certainly wasn't a New Year's resolution (I'm done with those) but seeing 2011 come in did give me a renewed passion to stop. I stopped 3 years ago and stayed stopped for about 15 months. Now I am starting to have a constant sore throat and honestly the reality of cancer is beginning to scared me. I Think I'm gonna try the whole 'cold turkey' thing, but I have a stash of nicotine patches that I've been collecting for the pass 6 months. Just in case.

Okay so now that we have a goal, what's the plan? I guess I should probably get rid of the cigarettes that I have and find some sensible substitutes. I was told to invest in some saltine crackers and plenty of water. I like baby carrots so I'll start there. The key to overcoming an addiction (Nicotine IS addictive) is pushing through the cravings and overcoming emotional triggers. Most addictions are fueled by a person's inability to cope with their own feelings. I am going to report my progress, or lack of, as things unfold. What I would love to be able to say at the end of 60 days (trying to be realistic) is that I am a non-smoker.

3 comments:

  1. Great start! you are a lot stronger than you think you are! I am rooting for you! I have such bad asthma. trust me, its not the way to go and you will end up that way if you keep sucking those cancer sticks. YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Susan. Great start! We have so much in common. I too am not afraid of making mistakes and sharing the experience. I often say, "I share not so that you can judge me but so that I can liberate you." It sounds like you live by the same philosophy. I look forward to sharing the rest of your journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ladies. This is tougher than I thought it would be. Keep praying...I can't do this alone

    ReplyDelete